January 19-20, 2024 (Registration Closes January 3, 2024)
Maximum Number of Seats in the Course:
Type of Course:
Open Registration For Any SLP
4450 Medical Drive
San Antonio, TX 78229
Jennifer Hunt, OTR, MOT, C/NDT (jennifer.targac@MHShealth.com)
SA Swallowing Services, PLLC
John R. Ashford, Ph.D. (John@sasspllc.com)
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able . . .
- to identify and describe the physiological events relating to swallowing peristalsis and airway protection;
- to list and define scoring scales to help quantify consequential events observed before, during, and after a swallowing event;
to identify and discuss the underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
to define and discuss the Three Pillars of Pneumonia from Aspiration and the role FEES plays in the identification and analysis of factors related to potential pneumonia development; and
to complete a concise and clear report explaining endoscopic observations of normal and abnormal swallowing events, their underlying biomechanical causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, and possible intervention approaches.
Faculty & Disclosures:
Matthew Ward, M.S., CCC-SLP: A contract associate with SA Swallowing Services, Clinical Education Director, and researcher. He has practiced primarily in hospitals and nursing facilities. His specialty areas are swallowing, speech, language, and cognitive disorders. He has been with SASS since 2016 and is licensed and certified as a provider and instructor of swallowing endoscopy in Tennessee.
Disclosures: Financial: Contract Associate with SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, paid course instructor; Non-financial: None.
Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP: Co-founder and President of SA Swallowing Services. She is a medical Speech-Language Pathologist and FEES Endoscopist serving rehabilitation hospitals and nursing homes across Tennessee and parts of Kentucky and Georgia. She also is the supervisor/instructor for on-site FEES competency training. She is licensed and certified as a provider and instructor of swallowing endoscopy per Tennessee statutes.
Disclosures: Financial: Co-Owner of SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, paid course instructor; Non-financial: None.
Methodist Hospital: Financial: none; Non-financial-use of facility meeting space
Day One: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Introduction (30m)
- Anatomy & Physiology for Normal Swallowing (60m)
- Scoring Lecture & Activities (Group)-Peristalsis (70m)
- Break (10m)
- Scoring Lecture & Activities (Group)-Airway Protection (35m)
- Peristalsis Scoring Activities (Individual) (60m)
- Lunch (30m)
- Airway Protection Scoring Activities (Individual) (65m)
- Biomechanics Lecture & Scoring Activities (115m)
- Exercise Review (35m)
- Biomechanics Lecture & Scoring Activities (60m)
Day Two: 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Exercise Review (Previous day) (40m)
- The Three Pillars of Pneumonia (60m)
- Break (15m)
- Principles of Exercise Physiology & Treatment Options (90m)
- Scoring & Analysis Activities: Case Studies using DOSS (60m)
- Lunch (30m)
- Identifying & Describing Pharyngeal/Laryngeal Lesions (30m)
- Scoring & Analysis Activities: Case Studies using DOSS (165m)
- $565.00 per participant. A training manual (lecture powerpoints, scoring forms, report examples, and other information) to take home. A maximum of 16 participants will be registered for this advanced FEES training course. Student and group discounts are not permitted. The last day to register for this training course is January 3, 2024.
- Complete the registration information requested on the Checkout Page. Be sure to include your ASHA or NSSHLA account number for ASHA CEUs.
- Participants must pay online using a credit card only. NO checks. No group discounts or complimentary seats.
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.60 ASHA CEUs (Advanced Level).
Participants are expected to be present for the complete course to receive ASHA CEUs. No partial credit shall be provided.
Cancellation and Refund Policies:
Participant Cancellations: Contact John Ashford as soon as possible. Notice of cancellation is essential for other SLPs unable to register to be considered for course participation. Cancellation affects course materials preparations.
Cancellation 30 days or more before the course date, full tuition, less credit card processing fees, will be refunded within 30 days following the course completion date. Cancellation between 11 and 29 days before the course, 50% of tuition will be refunded. Cancellation 10 days or less before the course, loss of full tuition. Requests to switch registration to a later course will be made without charge if received 30 days or more before the original registered course. Requests to switch courses received less than 30 days before the original course date will be subject to a $150.00 reprocessing and scheduling charge.
SASS Cancellation: If SASS must cancel the course, you will receive a full refund.