Presented by SA Swallowing Services
- March 25-26, 2023
- July 15-16, 2023
- October 14-15, 2023
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
- -To systematically observe & score individual & unique behaviors associated with normal or abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing events as captured using an endoscopic swallow procedure;
- -To analyze the significance of endoscopically-observed behaviors during an abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing event;
- -To determine underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
- -To relate observed abnormal swallowing behaviors & their biomechanical/sensory causes to underlying primary medical conditions; and
- -To write a concise & clear report incorporating endoscopic observations of normal & abnormal swallowing events, their significance & underlying causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, & possible intervention approaches.
Faculty: – Experienced and Knowledgeable
|Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP Co-founder, CEO & Clinical Services Director, TN endoscopy licensed, over 25 years clinical experience.||Matt Ward, M.S., CCC-SLP SASS Clinical Education Coordinator, TN endoscopy licensed, over 10 years clinical experience.|
Speech-Language Pathologists with earned Master’s degree or above who are working in the medical community. Graduate students in their final year of training and who have completed a university dysphagia course may attend. Registration by other professions will not be permitted.
Select Specialty Hospital, 2004 Hays Street, Nashville, Tennessee. All courses are held in the first-floor conference room, Charity Hall. After registering for a course, a Letter of Confirmation and course agenda will be sent to you.
Living accommodations are at the discretion of the participant. Several hotels are located in close vicinity to Select Specialty Hospital.
Course Registration and Tuition:
- $485.00. Includes lunch and refreshments both days, and a 78-page training manual (lecture powerpoints, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home. A maximum of 15 participants will be registered per course. Student and group discounts are not permitted.
- Complete the registration information requested on the Checkout Page. Be sure to include your ASHA or NSSHLA account number for ASHA CEUs.
- Participants must pay online using a credit card only. NO personal checks are accepted. Corporate-sponsored payment is by invoice and paid by check.
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.6 ASHA CEU’s (Advanced Level).
Program Completion Requirements:
Participants are expected to be present for the entire program. Individuals who are not present for the full program will not be recommended for ASHA CEUs. No partial credit will be provided.
– Ms. Skelley: Financial-Co-owner & President/CEO of SA Swallowing Services; No relevant non-financial relationships exist.
– Mr. Ward: Financial-Paid presenter. No relevant non-financial relationships exist.
Course Switching and Cancellation Policies:
Cancellations: 30 days or more before course date: 100% of course tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
10 to 29 days before course date: 50% of tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
Less than 10 days before course date: No refund of course tuition.
Cancellations must be in writing, preferably by email. Allow 30 days after course completion for refunds.
Course Switching: Switching registration to an earlier or later course-if seats are available-is permitted without charge if the course switch is made 30 days or more prior to the first or original course registration. A transfer and processing fee of $150.00 will be charged when course switches are made less than 30 days from the first or original course registration.
Day One: 8:00am to 5:30pm
- How SASS Does It (FEES)
- Exercise 1-Score Normal/Abnormal; Review and Discussion
- Lecture 1: Anatomy & Physiology for Normal Swallowing
- Exercise 2: Determining the Biomechanics of Impaired Swallowing; Review and Discussion
- Lecture 2: Biomechanics of Swallowing Impairment
- Lecture 3: Scoring FEES
- Exercise 3-1: Scoring Airway Protection; Review and Discussion
- Exercise 3-2: Scoring Residue; Review and Discussion
- Lecture 4: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences
Day Two: 8:00am to 3:30pm
- Exercise 4-1: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences-Peristalsis; Writing Analysis and Discussion
- Exercise 4-2: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences-Airway Protection; Writing Analysis and Discussion
- Lecture 5: Scoring, Analysis, and Reporting
- Exercise 5-1: Easy, Hard, & Somewhere in Between-Analysis & Writing Results; Review & Discussion