February 26-27, 2023 (Sunday-Monday)
Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center
235 W 6th Street
Reno, Nevada 89503
Local Contact: Alyssa Wilson (aingrao@prime healthcare.com)
SA Swallowing Services, PLLC
Registration/Course Contact: John R. Ashford, Ph.D. John@sasspllc.com
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
Objectives: At the completion of this course, participants should be able:
- -To systematically observe & score individual & unique behaviors associated with normal or abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing events as captured using an endoscopic swallow procedure;
- -To analyze the significance of endoscopically-observed behaviors during an abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing event;
- -To determine underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
- -To relate observed abnormal swallowing behaviors & their biomechanical/sensory causes to underlying primary medical conditions; and
- -To write a concise & clear report incorporating endoscopic observations of normal & abnormal swallowing events, their significance & underlying causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, & possible intervention approaches.
Faculty & Disclosures:
Matthew Ward, M.S., CCC-SLP: A contract associate with SA Swallowing Services, Clinical Education Director, and researcher. He has practiced primarily in hospitals and nursing facilities. His specialty areas are swallowing, speech, language, and cognitive disorders. He has been with SASS since 2016 and is licensed and certified as a provider and instructor of swallowing endoscopy in Tennessee.
Disclosures: Financial: Contract Associate with SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, paid course instructor; Non-financial: None.
Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP: Co-founder and President of SA Swallowing Services, she is a medical Speech-Language Pathologist and FEES Endoscopist serving rehabilitation hospitals and nursing homes across Tennessee and parts of Kentucky and Georgia. She also is the supervisor/instructor for on-site FEES competency training. She is licensed and certified as a provider and instructor of swallowing endoscopy in accordance with Tennessee statutes.
Disclosures: Financial: Co-Owner of SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, paid course instructor; Non-financial: None.
Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center: Financial: None; Non-financial-use of facility meeting space
Day One: 8:00am to 5:30pm
- How SASS Does It (FEES) (60m)
- Exercise 1-Score Normal/Abnormal; Review and Discussion
- Lecture 1: Anatomy & Physiology for Normal Swallowing (90m)
- Exercise 2: Determining the Biomechanics of Impaired Swallowing; Review and Discussion
- Lecture 2: Biomechanics of Swallowing Impairment (120m)
- Lecture 3: Scoring FEES
- Exercise 3-1: Scoring Airway Protection; Review and Discussion (105m)
- Exercise 3-2: Scoring Residue; Review and Discussion (105m)
- Lecture 4: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences (60m)
Day Two: 8:00am to 3:30pm
- Exercise 4-1: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences-Peristalsis; Writing Analysis and Discussion (90m)
- Exercise 4-2: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences-Airway Protection; Writing Analysis and Discussion (90m)
- Lecture 5: Scoring, Analysis, and Reporting (90m)
- Exercise 5-1: Easy, Hard, & Somewhere in Between-Analysis & Writing Results; Review & Discussion (150m)
Course Registration and Tuition:
- $500.00. 78-page training manual (lecture powerpoints, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home. A maximum of 15 participants will be registered per course. Student and group discounts are not permitted.
- Complete the registration information requested on the Checkout Page.
- Participants must pay online using a credit card only. NO personal checks are accepted. Corporate-sponsored payment is by invoice and paid by check.
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.60 ASHA CEU’s (Advanced Level).
Participants are expected to be present for the entire program. Individuals who are not present for the full program will not be recommended for ASHA CEUs. No partial credit will be provided.
Course Switching and Cancellation Policies:
Cancellations: 30 days or more before course date: 100% of course tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
10 to 29 days before course date: 50% of tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
Less than 10 days before course date: No refund of course tuition.
Cancellations must be in writing, preferably by email. Allow 30 days after course completion for refunds.
Course Switching: Switching registration to an earlier or later course-if seats are available-is permitted without charge if the course switch is made 30 days or more prior to the first or original course registration. A transfer and processing fee of $150.00 will be charged when course switches are made less than 30 days from the first or original course registration.