October 7-8, 2023
Inova Fairfax Medical Campus
3300 Gallows Road
Falls Church, VA 22031
Megan Hathaway (email@example.com)
SA Swallowing Services, PLLC
John R. Ashford, Ph.D. John@sasspllc.com
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
At the completion of this course, participants should be able:
- -To systematically observe & score individual & unique behaviors associated with normal or abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing events as captured using an endoscopic swallow procedure;
- -To analyze the significance of endoscopically-observed behaviors during an abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing event;
- -To determine underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
- -To relate observed abnormal swallowing behaviors & their biomechanical/sensory causes to underlying primary medical conditions; and
- -To write a concise & clear report incorporating endoscopic observations of normal & abnormal swallowing events, their significance & underlying causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, & possible intervention approaches.
Faculty & Disclosures:
Matthew Ward, M.S., CCC-SLP: A contract associate with SA Swallowing Services, Clinical Education Director, and researcher. He has practiced primarily in hospitals and nursing facilities. His specialty areas are swallowing, speech, language, and cognitive disorders. He has been with SASS since 2016 and is licensed and certified as a provider and instructor of swallowing endoscopy in Tennessee.
Disclosures: Financial: Contract Associate with SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, paid course instructor; Non-financial: None.
Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP: Co-founder and President of SA Swallowing Services, she is a medical Speech-Language Pathologist and FEES Endoscopist serving rehabilitation hospitals and nursing homes across Tennessee and parts of Kentucky and Georgia. She also is the supervisor/instructor for on-site FEES competency training. She is licensed and certified as a provider and instructor of swallowing endoscopy in accordance with Tennessee statutes.
Disclosures: Financial: Co-Owner of SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, paid course instructor; Non-financial: None.
Inova Health Care Services: Financial: Participant tuition; Non-financial-use of facility meeting space
Day One: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Introduction (30m)
- Anatomy & Physiology for Normal Swallowing (60m)
- Scoring Lecture & Activities (Group)-Peristalsis (70m)
- Break (10m)
- Scoring Lecture & Activities (Group)-Airway Protection (35m)
- Peristalsis Scoring Activities (Individual) (60m)
- Lunch (30m)
- Airway Protection Scoring Activities (Individual) (65m)
- Biomechanics Lecture & Scoring Activities (115m)
- Exercise Review (35m)
- Biomechanics Lecture & Scoring Activities (60m)
Day Two: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Exercise Review (Previous day) (40m)
- The Three Pillars of Pneumonia (60m)
- Break (15m)
- Principles of Exercise Physiology & Treatment Options (90m)
- Scoring & Analysis Activities: Case Studies using DOSS (60m)
- Lunch (30m)
- Identifying & Describing Pharyngeal/Laryngeal Lesions (30m)
- Scoring & Analysis Activities: Case Studies using DOSS (165m)
- Participants must register online to receive course information. Complete the registration information requested on the Checkout Page.
- Course tuition is sponsored by Inova Health Care Services.
- 78-page training manual (lecture powerpoints, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home. A maximum of 20 participants will be registered per course. Student and group discounts are not permitted.
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.60 ASHA CEU’s (Advanced Level).
Participants are expected to be present for the entire program. Individuals who are not present for the full program will not be recommended for ASHA CEUs. No partial credit will be provided.
Course Switching and Cancellation Policies:
Cancellations: Contact Megan Hathaway as soon as possible. Notice of cancellation is important for other Inova SLPs to be considered for the course. Also, cancellation affects course materials preparations.