Learning FEES Skills 2019:
Protocols, Procedures & Analyses
College of Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences
Ziauddin University, Karachi, Pakistan
Presented by SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Course 1: 30 September 2019 – 2 October 2019
Course 2: 2 October 2019 – 4 October 2019
To provide two, two and one-half day transnasal endoscopic (FEES) training courses for the assessment of oropharyngeal dysphagia by Speech-Language Pathologists. The courses include FEES development, equipment demonstrations, anatomy and physiology reviews, medical concerns, infection control procedures, FEES protocols and procedures, scoring analyses, interpretation and report writing. Participants receive hands-on, endoscope passing training and case-based analysis learning exercises.
Objectives: At the completion of this course participants should be able to:
- -identify, describe, and evaluate the anatomy and physiology of the nasal cavity, pharynx and larynx during normal and abnormal swallowing events, as viewed endoscopically;
- -use safe and effective manual dexterity skills to conduct nasoendoscopic procedures;
- -describe and use predetermined clinical protocols and procedures to conduct and assess oropharyngeal swallowing and airway protection events endoscopically;
- -use standard and prescribed infection control procedures, and identify risks and contraindications for nasoendoscopy assessment of swallowing
- -Score, analyze & interpret video-recorded FEES observations systematically to determine swallowing and airway protection abnormalities leading to more concise reporting and treatment interventions, and
- -Have up to 15 successful endoscope passes on normal subjects following FEES procedures.
Faculty: – Certified, Experienced and Knowledgeable
Michelle L. Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP, SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
John R. Ashford, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Karen E. Brown, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Matthew G. Ward, M.S., CCC-SLP, SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Intended Audience Only:
Speech-Language Pathologists with earned degrees who are working in the medical community and who wish to learn a new swallowing assessment skill, or those who have previous experience with FEES. Registration by other professions will not be permitted.
College of Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences, Ziauddin University, Karachi, Pakistan
The Basic+Advanced FEES Training Course includes presentations on anatomy/physiology of swallowing, FEES-specific equipment, proper endoscopy handling, medical issues with nasoendoscopy, infection control procedures, FEES protocols and procedures, Abnormal swallow findings, scoring scheme, determining biomechanics of abnormal swallowing, use of endoscopy in treatment, hands-on endoscope training, analysis learning and practice using computer-exercises, and a 140-page training manual (lecture power points, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home.
To register, contact Amina Siddiqui, Associate Professor and Principal, College of Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences, Ziauddin University, Karachi, Pakistan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each of the two courses is limited to 25 participants each.
Continuing Education Credit:
To be determined.
Program Completion Requirements:
Participants are expected to be present for the entire course for which they are registered. No other partial credit will be provided.
-Ms. Skelley: Financial-Co-owner & President/CEO of SA Swallowing Services; No relevant non-financial relationships exits.
-Dr. Ashford: Financial-Co-owner & Education Director of SA Swallowing Services; No relevant non-financial relationships exists.
-Dr. Brown: No relevant financial or non-financial relationships exists.
-Mr. Ward:No relevant financial or non-financial relationships exists.
-Ziauddin University: No relevant financial relationships exist; Non-financial: use of meeting spaces.
Course Cancellation Policy: