Advanced FEES 2020:
Scoring, Analyses, & Reporting
Presented by SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee
Course Dates: May 16 & 17, 2019 & October 17 & 18, 2020
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
- -To systematically observe & score individual & unique behaviors associated with normal or abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing events as captured using an endoscopic swallow procedure;
- -To analyze the significance of endoscopically-observed behaviors during an abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing event;
- -To determine underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
- -To relate observed abnormal swallowing behaviors & their biomechanical/sensory causes to underlying primary medical conditions; and
- -To write a concise & clear report incorporating endoscopic observations of normal & abnormal swallowing events, their significance & underlying causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, & possible intervention approaches.
Faculty: – Experienced and Knowledgeable
|Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP Co-founder, CEO & Clinical Services Director, TN endoscopy licensed, over 25 years clinical experience.||John R. Ashford, Ph.D., CCC-SLP SASS Co-founder & Education Director, previous university professor, TN endoscopy license, over 40 years clinical experience.|
Speech-Language Pathologists with earned Master’s degree or above who are working in the medical community. Graduate students in their final year of training and have completed a university dysphagia course may attend. Registration by other professions will not be permitted.
Select Specialty Hospital, 2004 Hayes Street, Nashville, Tennessee. All courses held on first floor, Charity Hall Education Facility. After registering for a course, a Letter of Confirmation and course agenda will be sent to you.
Hotel accommodations are at the discretion of the participant. Several hotels are located in close vicinity (1 to 3 blocks) of Select Specialty Hospital.
Course Registration and Tuition:
$450.00 tuition and includes lunch and refreshments both days, and a 78-page training manual (lecture power points, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home. A maximum of 25 participants will be registered per course. Participants may register by check, or online using PayPal (you do not have to have a PayPal account).
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.6 ASHA CEU’s (Advanced Level; Professional Area).
Program Completion Requirements:
Participants are expected to be present for the entire program. Individuals who are not present for the full program will not be recommended for ASHA CEUs. No partial credit will be provided.
– Ms. Skelley: Financial-Co-owner & President/CEO of SA Swallowing Services; No relevant non-financial relationships exits.
– Dr. Ashford: Financial-Co-owner & Education Director of SA Swallowing Services; consultant-Tennessee Department of Health; No relevant non-financial relationships exists.
Course Cancellation Policy:
30 days or more before course date: 100% of course tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
10 to 29 days before course date: 50% of tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
Less than 10 days before course date: No refund of course tuition.
Cancellations must be in writing, preferably email. Allow 30 days after course completion for refunds.
Day One: 8:00am to 4:30pm
- Lecture-Step 1: Observations & Identification
- Exercise 1-Observations & Identification
- Review & Discussion
- Lecture-Step 2: Scoring Observations
- Exercise 2-Scoring Observations
- Review & Discussion
- Lecture-Step 3: Determining Underlying Biomechanical Reasons
- Exercise 3-Determining Underlying Biomechanical Reasons
- Review & Discussion
Day Two: 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Lecture-Step 4: Report Writing: Explaining Observations & Underlying Reasons
- Exercise 4: Report Writing: Explaining Observations & Underlying Reasons
- Exercise Review & Discussion
- Exercise 5: Scoring, Analysis, Decisions, & Report Writing
- Discussion & Course Administration