Advanced FEES 2020: Scoring, Analyzing, & Reporting
Presented by SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee
Course Date: March 14 & 15, 2020
Course Location: Ochsner Therapy and Wellness, Elmwood Clinic, 1201 South Clearview Pkwy, Bldg B, Sports Medicine Conference Room, Jefferson, LA
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
- -To systematically observe & score individual & unique behaviors associated with normal or abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing events as captured using an endoscopic swallow procedure;
- -To analyze the significance of endoscopically-observed behaviors during an abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing event;
- -To determine underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
- -To relate observed abnormal swallowing behaviors & their biomechanical/sensory causes to underlying primary medical conditions; and
- -To write a concise & clear report incorporating endoscopic observations of normal & abnormal swallowing events, their significance & underlying causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, & possible intervention approaches.
Faculty: – Experienced and Knowledgeable
|Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP Co-founder, CEO & Clinical Services Director, TN endoscopy licensed, over 25 years clinical experience.||John R. Ashford, Ph.D., CCC-SLP SASS Co-founder & Education Director, previous university professor, TN endoscopy license, over 40 years clinical experience.|
Speech-Language Pathologists with earned Master’s degree or above, working in the medical community, having completed at minimum of a basic FEES training courses, and with some clinical FEES experience. Graduate students in their final year of training and have completed a university dysphagia course, or a basic FEES course may attend. Registration by other professions will not be permitted.
Hope Beyer, M.S. CCC-SLP (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Course Registration and Tuition:
$500.00 tuition and training manual (lecture power points, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home. A maximum of 2o participants will be registered per course. Participants may register by check, or online using PayPal (you do not have to have a PayPal account).
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.6 ASHA CEU’s (Advanced Level; Professional Area).
Program Completion Requirements:
Participants are expected to be present for the entire program. Individuals who are not present for the full program will not be recommended for ASHA CEUs. No partial credit will be provided.
– Ms. Skelley: Financial-Co-owner & President/CEO of SA Swallowing Services and paid instructor; No relevant non-financial relationships exits.
– Dr. Ashford: Financial-Co-owner & Education Director of SA Swallowing Services and paid instructor; No relevant non-financial relationships exists.
Day One: 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Introduction & Pre-test (45m)
- Scoring Swallowing Consequences (60m)
- Exercise 1: Scoring Consequences with Review/Discussion (75m)
- Enhancing Rating: Using Diacritics (20m)
- Exercise 2:Enhancing Rating: Using Diacritics with Review/Discussion (55m)
- Analysis of Swallowing Consequences (30m)
- Exercise 3: Analysis of Swallowing Consequences with Review/Discussion (135m)
- Biomechanics of Swallowing Consequences (90m)
Day Two: 8:00am to 4:30pm
- Lecture-Step 4: Biomechanics of Swallowing Consequences with Review/Discussion (120m)
- Elements of FEES Report Writing (30m)
- Practice Exercise 5a: Scoring, Analyses, Decisions, and Report Writing (75m)
- Practice Exercise 5b: Scoring, Analysis, Decisions, & Report Writing with Review/Discussion (135)
- Rethinking Intervention (45m)
- Post-test, Review, & Discussion (45m)
Course Cancellation Policy:
30 days or more before course date: 100% of course tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
10 to 29 days before course date: 50% of tuition, less PayPal processing fees, will be refunded
Less than 10 days before course date: No refund of course tuition.
Cancellations must be in writing, preferably email. Allow 30 days after course completion for refunds.