Advanced FEES 2019:
Scoring, Analyses, & Reporting
Presented by SA Swallowing Services, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee
Course Dates: May 18 & 19, 2019 & October 19 & 20, 2019
To provide advanced FEES training for Speech-Language Pathologists with prior knowledge, training, and experience in endoscopic assessment of oropharyngeal swallowing to improve observation, analysis, and interpretation of clinical findings, and to write concise, informational reports.
- -To systematically observe & score individual & unique behaviors associated with normal or abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing events as captured using an endoscopic swallow procedure;
- -To analyze the significance of endoscopically-observed behaviors during an abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing event;
- -To determine underlying biomechanical/sensory causes of abnormal oropharyngeal swallowing behaviors, which potentially determine directions for intervention and remediation;
- -To relate observed abnormal swallowing behaviors & their biomechanical/sensory causes to underlying primary medical conditions; and
- -To write a concise & clear report incorporating endoscopic observations of normal & abnormal swallowing events, their significance & underlying causes relative to the primary medical diagnoses, & possible intervention approaches.
Faculty: – Experienced and Knowledgeable
|Michelle Skelley, M.Ed., CCC-SLP Co-founder, CEO & Clinical Services Director, TN endoscopy licensed, over 25 years clinical experience.||John R. Ashford, Ph.D., CCC-SLP SASS Co-founder & Education Director, previous university professor, TN endoscopy license, over 40 years clinical experience.|
Intended Audience Only:
Speech-Language Pathologists with earned Master’s degree or above who are working in the medical community. Graduate students in their final year of training and have completed a university dysphagia course may attend. Registration by other professions will not be permitted.
Select Specialty Hospital, 2004 Hayes Street, Nashville, Tennessee. All courses held on first floor, Charity Hall Education Facility. After registering for a course, a Letter of Confirmation and course agenda will be sent to you.
Hotel accommodations are at the discretion of the participant. Several hotels are located in close vicinity (1 to 3 blocks) of Select Specialty Hospital.
Course Registration and Tuition:
$400.00 tuition and includes lunch and refreshments both days, and a 78-page training manual (lecture power points, scoring forms, report examples, other information) to take home. A maximum of 20 participants will be registered per course. Participants may register by check, or online using PayPal (you do not have to have a PayPal account).
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is offered for 1.5 ASHA CEU’s (Advanced Level; Professional Area).
Program Completion Requirements:
Participants are expected to be present for the entire program. Individuals who are not present for the full program will not be recommended for ASHA CEUs. No partial credit will be provided.
– Ms. Skelley: Financial-Co-owner & President/CEO of SA Swallowing Services; No relevant non-financial relationships exits.
– Dr. Ashford: Financial-Co-owner & Education Director of SA Swallowing Services; consultant-Tennessee Department of Health; No relevant non-financial relationships exists.
Course Cancellation Policy:
100% of course tuition will be refunded if cancellation is received 30 days prior to the course date. 50% of tuition will be refunded if cancellation is less than 30 days prior to the course date. Cancellations must be in writing. All refunds returned following course date.
2-Day Training 15 Hours: 8:00 to 4:30 Both Days
- Lecture-Step 1: Observations & Identification
- Exercise 1-Observations & Identification
- Review & Discussion
- Lecture-Step 2: Scoring Observations
- Exercise 2-Scoring Observations
- Review & Discussion
- Lecture-Step 3: Determining Underlying Biomechanical Reasons
- Exercise 3-Determining Underlying Biomechanical Reasons
- Review & Discussion
- Lecture-Step 4: Report Writing: Explaining Observations & Underlying Reasons
- Exercise 4: Report Writing: Explaining Observations & Underlying Reasons
- Exercise Review & Discussion
- Exercise 5: Scoring, Analysis, Decisions, & Report Writing
- Discussion & Course Administration